A critical member of the laboratory team supporting the operations of a high throughput, LIMS-controlled production environment.
The Genuity Science Genomics Centre is an award winning, internationally accredited facility focused on utilizing the most modern genetic techniques to help understand the molecular basis of both common and rare diseases. The Laboratory Bioinformatician is a critical member of the wider laboratory team and supports the day to day operations of the high throughput, LIMS-controlled production environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Designing real-time analytics for daily processes used by laboratory scientists e.g. Monitoring of Sequencing quality.
- Lead on development of new sequencing pipelines such as single cell sequencing.
- Provide support for troubleshooting primary and secondary pipeline issues as they arise.
- Calculate key performance indicators (KPIs) as part of the laboratory quality management monthly meeting.
- Ensure that samples processed in the laboratory are in accordance with all quality control requirements.
- Quality control, process and package customer data for transfer.
- Assist in the design and continuous development of the laboratory information system (LIMS).
- Participate in the analysis of CAP proficiency sample analysis as part of our accreditation maintenance programme.
- Generate monthly QC trends for instruments and workflows.
- Analyze equivalency data based on the running of multiple sequencing machines as required by CAP.
- Perform data analysis as part of instrument IQ/OQ/PQ validation.
- Perform analysis for revalidation of equipment or change controls based on software upgrades.
- Plan, prioritize, coordinate and troubleshoot laboratory-based bioinformatics analysis.
- Design and implement automation of daily informatic tasks.
- Analyse NGS data for a variety of purposes e.g. duplicate identification.
- Participate in non-conformance investigation and corrective action plans.
- Communicate and summarize findings with team members, senior management and external stakeholders.
- Train laboratory scientists in developed and implemented informatic processes where required.
- Completion of all required records associated with quality system compliance.
- Performance of installation, operational and performance qualification of new laboratory informatics systems.
- Participation in and where requested, performance of laboratory based audits.
- Attendance at meetings, as requested by laboratory management.
- Adherence with human resources policies and procedures and participation in staff review programmes within the organisation.
- Compliance with the requirements of CAP, ISO 17025, ISO 15189 and Irish National Accreditation Board mandatory documentation.
- PhD in Bioinformatics.
- Experience with database management and communication e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- Ability to script in Linux/Unix and other scripting languages e.g. Python, R, Ruby.
- Experience with genetic analysis tools such as PLINK , BCFTOOLS and GATK
- Fundamental understanding of genomic technology such as genotyping Array platforms and whole genome sequencing platforms.
- Experience with single cell sequencing analysis preferable.
- Experience with AWS infrastructure and Workflow Management Systems e.g. Nextflow, would be beneficial.
The Laboratory Bioinformatician is accountable to the VP of Lab Operations. Apply
EEO Policy Statement: It is the policy of Genuity Science to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Genuity Science will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.